Is a permit required for piers, pilings, floating docks, dredging, or boat lifts?
Any work performed below the mean high tide line requires a building permit. If dredging or filling, then a grading permit is required. Electric and water lines require electrical and plumbing permits. A public hearing before the Board of Port Wardens, a five member board approved by the Mayor and City Council which meets on the 4th Tuesday of each month, is required for all marine projects. Project applications must be received by Planning and Zoning at least 6 weeks prior to the public hearing. The land below mean high tides is also subject to state and federal regulations, and their approvals are also required. The whole process of acquiring all the necessary permits can take up to 3 months.

Show All Answers

1. When are permits required in the City of Annapolis?
2. If I plan to do interior or exterior demolition, is a permit required and if so, what plans do I need to submit?
3. Is a permit required for piers, pilings, floating docks, dredging, or boat lifts?
4. Do tree removals require a permit?
5. Does landscaping require a permit?
6. What is a sheeting/shoring permit and when is one required?
7. Where can applications for the permits and licenses be obtained?
8. How long does it take to process a building, plumbing, mechanical or electrical permit?
9. How long does it take to process a grading permit?
10. How is the building permit fee assessed?
11. When can work be started?
12. Generally, what types of inspections are required and when are they required?
13. Does a building permit have an expiration date?
14. Does my commercial establishment have to be handicap accessible?
15. When is a grease interceptor required?
16. Are there any special requirements for building near the water?
17. When are surety bonds or letters of credits required?
18. What is a Use and Occupancy Permit and when is it required?
19. Is there a fee to submit revised drawings?