The water consumption on my bill was very high. What should I do?

Promptly call our office at 410-263-7953 and request a protest form. Fill out the top part and return the form prior to the due date on your bill to the Utility Billing office located at:

160 Duke of Gloucester Street

Room 103

Annapolis, MD 21401

Please include a $40 protest fee. You will be contacted by the Utility Billing office after an investigation by the Department of Public Works. If there has been an error in the meter read, we will adjust your bill and refund the $40 fee. The protect form will not be initiated until the $40 is paid in full. You can call to pay the protest fee via credit card and submit your form via email.

View utility billing contact information.

Show All Answers

1. How often will I get a utility bill?
2. Who do I call if I have a question about my bill?
3. How can I change the name or address to which my bill is mailed?
4. The water consumption on my bill was very high. What should I do?
5. How can you read my water meter without removing the meter top?
6. How is my bill calculated?
7. How are water and sewer rates calculated?
8. What are the residential refuse rates?
9. What are the watershed restoration utility rates?
10. How much is the bay restoration fee?
11. How much is the turn on/off fee?
12. How do I disconnect/reconnect my water service?
13. How much does a special reading cost.
14. How do I obtain a lien certificate?
15. Why do I have to pay the City for refuse collection when I don't put out any trash?