Office of Mayor Gavin Buckley
City of Annapolis
160 Duke of Gloucester Street
Annapolis, Maryland 21401
Media Contact: Mitchelle Stephenson, 410-972-7724, email@example.com
National Bike to Work Day is May 17
WHO: Annapolis Mayor Gavin Buckley
Anne Arundel County Executive Steuart Pittman
Jon Korin, Bicycle Advocates for Annapolis and Anne Arundel County
WHAT: National Bike to Work Day
WHERE: City Dock, Susan Campbell Park, Annapolis
WHEN: 8 a.m., May 17
WHY: Get out of your car and join the crew of bicyclists convening on City Dock the morning of May 17 for National Bike to Work Day. Annapolis Mayor Gavin Buckley and County Executive Steuart Pittman will be joined by scores of cyclists for a rally to celebrate an increased interest in the most eco-friendly alternative transit mode available: bicycles!
Since the year 2000, the number of people who use bicycles as their main mode of commuting has grown by 62 percent (according to the League of American Bicyclists).
- Cycling is good for the environment because it creates low (no) carbon emissions,
- Cycling is good because it reduces traffic and parking demand,
- Cycling is good for your health because it is good cardiovascular exercise,
- Cycling is good for saving public funds because it has a low impact on road and highway infrastructure,
- Cycling is good for families because it is something people of all ages can do,
- Cycling can be good is for your personal finances because it reduces car and insurance payments, and
- Cycling strengthens our economy by making the City of Annapolis a more attractive place to live, work and visit.