The CAPITAL NEWSPAPER has posted LAST YEAR'S INFORMATION on their online newspaper! Please note that in their headline it says 2016!
Mayor Michael Pantelides wants you to have the CORRECT information, so here is all the information for this years 2017 New Year Celebration:
There is a new location for the kid’s New Year’s Eve Events. The early family- friendly fireworks experience will be relocated to Weems Whalen field this year, located behind Maryland Hall and Bates Middle School. This will give more spaces for the children’s activities and playtime. The activities will start at 3 p.m. and will include live music , face painting, a moon bounce, and a 65 ft. obstacle course.
• The first of two firework shows will take place at Weems Whalen field at 5:30 p.m. with a free Circulator Shuttle running to and from the Park Place Garage.
• Free parking in Park Place Garage from 2 p.m. on Saturday, December 31 until Sunday, January 1 at 2 a.m. Standard rates will apply at the other three City garages.
• Two free Circulator shuttles will run from 2 p.m. Saturday, December 31 until 2 a.m. on January 1. From 2:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. the Circulator Shuttle will provide a continuous route between Park Place and Maryland Hall (Chase Street) to offer transportation for the children’s event at Weems Whalen Field. The other Circulator Shuttle will make a continuous loop from Park Place to Church Circle, dropping off and picking up passengers at the top of Main Street. After 6:30 p.m. both Circulator Shuttles will be dedicated to the Park Place-Church Circle loop.
Just like last year, the City Dock New Year’s Eve events start to come alive around 8 p.m. The evening will be filled with music down by Susan Campbell Park with DJ starting at 8 p.m. followed by the fun, high energy dance band Radio City from 9 p.m. to midnight. At midnight the countdown fireworks grand finale takes place to welcome in the New Year led by Mayor Pantelides.
Here are a few reminders if coming into town by vehicle or boat:
• No shuttle service will be offered to the Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium.
• There will not be any parking restrictions specifically related to New Year's Eve. However, please be sure to adhere to all residential parking signs to avoid tickets, fines, or towing. Also remember, the free three hour parking is only for three hours.
• Because of the anticipated crowded conditions, boaters are urged to select their preferred viewing-area anchorage early and are also warned to avoid the 1,000-foot safety zone around the fireworks barge.
Remember, this is an alcohol free event. If you would like to celebrate with alcohol, please visit one of our wonderful local bars, restaurants or hotels. If you are attending New Year’s Eve celebrations anywhere in the area, please drink responsibly and utilize designated drivers.