Current Planning & Development Review
The Division of Current Planning is responsible for coordinating the review of development proposals, enforcing the zoning ordinance, and processing building permits, subdivisions, special exception uses and zoning variances. This section has ongoing, direct contact with residents, business people and developers in the city and responds to over 7,000 telephone calls and walk-ins each year on a variety of zoning and procedural issues.
This section includes 2 major subareas:
- Processing all development applications including applications requiring hearings before the Planning Commission, City Council, and Board of Appeals
- Permitting/enforcement which includes the review and approval of building permits and review for compliance with such diverse criteria as Historic Preservation Commission approval and the Chesapeake Bay Critical Area approval.
What’s New in Current Planning?
This spreadsheet shows major development projects in the City. It will be updated monthly. New activities this month are noted in red font.
- If someone is interested in building a new house on a vacant lot recently purchased, which city agencies would be involved in the review process of this permit application?
- I live in Eastport and want to add a family room and a second floor bedroom to my newly purchased dwelling. What should I do?
- I have my eye on a commercial building for a possible coffee shop but am apprehensive about signing a tenant lease. What should I do?
- Can an architect or engineer licensed in Virginia design and certify drawings for a project in Maryland?
- Can an upper floor over a garage be remodeled to be used as a sewing room?
- Can an owner add on to their house for their elderly mother-in-law?
- What is zoning?
- What are setback requirements for dwellings and storage sheds?