Licenses & Permits
The City of Annapolis will re-open to the public beginning at 8:30am on Tuesday, July 6, 2021. The permit counter will be open from 8:30am to 4:00 pm. The offices close at 4:30 p.m.
- When are permits required in the City of Annapolis?
- If I plan to do interior or exterior demolition, is a permit required and if so, what plans do I need to submit?
- Is a permit required for piers, pilings, floating docks, dredging, or boat lifts?
- Do tree removals require a permit?
- Does landscaping require a permit?
- What is a sheeting/shoring permit and when is one required?
- Where can applications for the permits and licenses be obtained?
- How long does it take to process a building, plumbing, mechanical or electrical permit?
Licenses & Permits Division
- Licenses and inspects all rental housing to ensure safe and sanitary living conditions.
- Licenses contractors doing business in the City.
- Inspects and enforces zoning regulations as set forth in the City Code.
- Provides pre-application meetings for those interested in a property prior to leasing.
- With the Fire Marshal's Office, ensures that automatic fire sprinkler systems shall be installed and maintained in accordance with Chapter 17.20 of the Code of the City of Annapolis.
Any applicant aggrieved by a decision of the Director of the Department of Planning and Zoning may appeal the decision to the Building Board of Appeals within fifteen working days of the decision.
No building permit is required on residential construction projects outside of the Historic District that are non-structural replacements and/or repair of windows, doors, and siding. Compliance with the applicable provisions of the Annapolis City Code is required regardless of the requirements for a building permit. (Section 17.12.023).
In the event of any inconsistencies between the provisions of the International Residential Code and the City Code, the more stringent code shall govern. A copy of the International Residential Code is on file in the Department of Planning and Zoning.