Historic Preservation Division
- Historic District and National Register Boundary Map (PDF)
- Historic District Design Manual (PDF)
- Historic District Streets (PDF)
- Historic Preservation Application Deadline and Meeting Dates 2019 (PDF)
- Historic Preservation Commission By-Laws (PDF)
- Historic Preservation Sidewalk Cafe Furniture Guidelines (PDF)
- Historic Preservation Sign Guidelines (PDF)
- National Trust Names Historic City of Annapolis a National Treasure (PDF)
- Rules of Procedure Adopted October 27, 2016 (PDF)
- Economic Hardship - Evidentiary Criteria (PDF)
The Historic Preservation Division has primary responsibility within the Planning & Zoning Department for reviewing exterior changes in the Annapolis Historic District, administering the tax credit program, providing support to the Historic Preservation Commission, and participating in Current Zoning Division reviews.
- provide technical assistance about general preservation practices and standards
- evaluate drawings, construction materials, and techniques for code compliance
- prepare staff reports for public hearings and site design review
- coordinate archaeological monitoring in the Historic District
- provide final review of exterior work proposed for building permits in the Historic District
- identify violations and participate in mitigation for compliance
- analyze zoning and other code changes affecting the Historic District
- ensure compliance with the Certified Local Government program
- negotiate contracts and coordinate the work of consultants providing services to the Division
- represent the City on the Heritage Commission and the Four Rivers Heritage Area
- review proposed changes to property owners seeking Federal funding under Section 106
- comment on City initiatives affecting the Historic District
- prepare publications to assist development planning in the Historic District
- conduct research, prepare written material, and give presentations on Annapolis history and architecture for local colleges, universities. realtors, and community groups.
- What is the role of the Historic Preservation Commission members and staff?
- What are the types of historic districts?
- How can I find out if my property is in the historic district?
- What does having a property in the historic district mean for me as a property owner?
- How do I find reliable contractors to work on my historic property?
- How can I date my house and its architectural features?
- What is the National Register of Historic Places and how can I get my property listed on it?
- Where can I find appropriate hardware and fixtures for my historic house?