The following locations are notable for the display of historic memorabilia, much of it related to past wars.
State House Grounds
Bell of the USS Maryland
On June 2, 1961 Governor J. Millard Tawes dedicated the onboard bronze Bell of the USS Maryland to commemorate the Ship and the sailors that served on her. The USS Maryland, the third of four named USS ships after the State of Maryland, is a Battleship launched on March 20, 1920. She is known as the "Fighting Mary", a ship that was damaged numerous times and survived the attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. This Flagship played a key role in the battles of the South Pacific at Midway, the Gilbert Islands, Leyte Gulf and Okinawa. "Fighting Mary" received 7 battle stars for her service during WWII. She was decommissioned in 1947 and is memorialized on the State House Grounds at State Circle.
St. Mary's Cannon
The St. Mary's Cannon was presented to the State in 1840 by the Reverend Joseph Carbery after its recovery from the St. Mary's River. The Cannon was brought to Maryland from England in 1634 by the first settlers and mounted on the walls of the fort at Maryland's first Capital, St. Mary's City. A tablet describing it was placed by the Daughters of the American Revolution, Peggy Stewart Tea Party Chapter of Annapolis on March 25, 1908.
St. Johns College Campus
Although Annapolis was not engaged in battle related to the War of 1812, there are many artifacts and places of significance related to the war. St John's College Campus features an 1812 cannon, confiscated from the defenders of the Annapolis harbor.
Philadelphia Liberty Bell
Along College Avenue is a replica of the Philadelphia Liberty Bell, one of the 48 reproductions that were cast in copper by the U.S. Treasury Department in 1950 to promote the sale of defense bonds. Its inscription urges citizens to “dedicate ourselves, as our founding fathers did, to the principles of individual freedom for which our nation stands”. The replica sits on a base purchased with the pennies contributed by children of Anne Arundel County.
Also on Campus is a unique replica of the geocentric universe postulated by the Greek astronomer Claudius Ptolemy, the basis for navigation before the discoveries of Copernicus, Galileo and Newton. Today St. John’s math students use the Ptolemy Stone to retrace Ptolemy’s calculations of the apparent movement of the sun along the ecliptic.
Gateway to Annapolis Along Rowe Boulevard
Eight marble columns, designed by Benjamin Henry Latrobe (1764-1820), front Rowe Boulevard outside the Robert Sweeney District Court. First installed in the Baltimore Exchange and Custom House in 1816, the columns were moved to the Court of Appeals building in 1901 when the Baltimore Exchange was demolished. When Maryland's Court of Appeals suffered a similar fate in 1972, the salvaged columns were placed in storage. Deemed an important part of the state's architectural heritage, they were restored and installed in 2000 on the present site.
"Boston Shoe Repair" Advertising Sign
A hundred years ago buildings often served as advertising billboards. The City’s only surviving example can be found at the foot of Green Street in a work that was restored in 2000 by Bill Greenfield, the property owner.
"The Geese Are Here"
At the foot of Charles Street, along Spa Creek, an artful display of copper geese adorns a city park. Once a parking lot, the park was completed in 2005 as part of the developed project on the site of the old Annapolis Hospital.
Commodore John Barry Plaque
Born in Wexford, Ireland, sister city to Annapolis, Barry was an officer in the Continental Navy during the Revolutionary War and later in the U.S. Navy. He was appointed a Captain in the Continental Navy by George Washington on December 7, 1775 and was the first Captain placed in command of a U.S. warship. He shares the moniker of "Father of the American Navy" with Scotsman John Paul Jones. A plaque honoring him was unveiled by the Mayor of Wexford at the Prince Georges Street End Park in 2008. In 2013 the USNA dedicated the new visitor entrance along Prince George Street to Commodore John Barry.
The Halsey Fieldhouse and Visitors Center bears a work of art sculpted in granite by Donald DeLue (1897-1988). The artwork depicts Hercules, warrior and athlete, the battle club symbolizing his valor as a warrior and a laurel wreath symbolizing his supremacy as an athlete. Both are allegorical messages offering challenges to the midshipmen of the USNA to athletic excellence.
West Street Chickens
The street from Westgate Circle to Calvert Street features a variety of Chickens designed by artists and children to publicize the City’s Art and Entertainment District. Begun in 2012, the artwork is temporary. The chicken’s artworks will at some future time be auctioned off to benefit other arts programs. The program is coordinated by Anne Arundel Cultural Arts Council.