Annapolis is so rich in examples of stained glass that one might call it an Annapolis tradition. In addition to the windows adorning many of its churches, the works listed here are of particular historic and artistic significance, including those from the hand of American master, Lewis Comfort Tiffany, and his firm Tiffany Studios.
St. Anne Church - Church Circle
Two of church's windows are from Tiffany Studios. One showing St. Anne instructing the young Virgin Mary was initially part of the firm's exhibit on display at the celebrated 1893 Chicago World's Columbian Exposition. The other, a demi-lune transom dating from 1914, portrays the Angel of the Resurrection.
Other windows by named makers are New York firm Heingket and Bowen's depiction of Christ quieting the wind and waters (c. 1900) and two windows made around 1910 by the German firm of Mayer and Co. showing Christ in the Temple and the Visit of the Virgin Mary to St. Elizabeth.
Mike Miller Senate Building - Maryland State Government Grounds
Louis Comfort Tiffany originally designed the 1903 stained glass dome for the new State Building (later the Court of Appeals). Constructed in 49 sections, it was moved to the Miller Building in 2001 to crown the 20-foot high Senate rotunda.
A contemporary addition to Annapolis' stained glass tradition is the 2014 work of Baltimore artist Loring Cornish. Working with pieces of glass salvaged from the vandalized windows of the old Mt. Moriah AME Church, which houses the museum, Cornish fabricated a three-part backlighted glass mural for the museum's two story foyer
Naval Academy Chapel
Tiffany Studios was responsible for four of the chapel's stained glass windows. The earliest of these, the Sir Galahad window was moved to its present location from the previous chapel, for which it was originally made. The class of 1869 commissioned the memorial to Admiral David Porter, superintendent of the Academy 1865-69. The 1909 winged angel of peace window commemorates the Spanish-American War naval victory at the battle of Santiago, and Commission Invisible is the gift of the class of 1927. The Gorham Company fabricated the window depicting Michael the Archangel, the design of Frederick Wilson (1858-1932), commemorating Admiral David Glasgow Farragut's 1864 victory over Confederate forces at Mobile Bay.