Kunta Kinte-Alex Haley Memorial
This monument documents the name of an African-American slave Kunta Kinte, and the place of his arrival in Annapolis in 1767. The memorial was conceived and initiated by Leonard Blackshear, designed by Annapolitans Peter Tasi and Gary Schwertzler, aided by artist Patricia McHold and writer Wiley Hall, III. This bronze statue of a seated Alex Haley reading to three small children was sculpted by Edward Dwight, a test pilot for the USAF, and the first African-American trained as an astronaut. Ten bronze plaques along Compromise Street and the Harbor offer stories and insights from the book Roots by Alex Haley. Located in the Market House Plaza is a bronze and granite Compass Rose. Late in life sculptor Dwight received a Fine Arts Degree from the University of Denver. A Colorado figurative artist early work portrays the history of Jazz./p>
United States Naval Academy
This bronze sculpture near Gate 1 representing Bill, The Goat, the USNA Mascot since 1890, was designed by Clemente Spampinato, noted for his depictions of sports figures and recognized for his ability to bring to life the complex movements of sports. A gift of the class of 1915, it was dedicated in 1957.
Navy Chapel Doors
These bronze doors, measuring 22’ by 10”, are an allegorical sculpture symbolizing war and peace by Evelyn Longman, the first woman of her generation to establish a career in large scale public sculpture and the first woman sculptor to become a full member of the National Academy of Design. Ernest Flagg is the Beaux Art designer of many of the USNA buildings and this Chapel that opened in 1908. The design for the Chapel doors was an open competition. Thirty people entered and Evelyn Longman’s design placed first. The doors are the gift of Robert Means Thompson, Class of 1868.
John Paul Jones Crypt
The crypt, beneath the Naval Academy Chapel, designed by Beaux-Arts architect Whitney Warren, holds the remains of Scottish born John Paul Jones recognized since 1775 as the "Father of the U.S. Navy." On April 24, 1906, President Theodore Roosevelt dedicated the gravesite to honor the strength of U.S. Naval Power. Moved from an obscure site in France, escorted across the Atlantic by a fleet of Navy ships, Jones is interred in a 21 ton sarcophagus of Grand Pyrenees Marble modeled after the tomb of Napoleon in the Invalides by French Beaux-Arts sculptor Sylvain Salieres. Nearby is a sculpted bust of the handsome and temperamental Jones by Jean Antoine Houdon world famous in the 18th century for his portraits of political figures and world leaders. Houdon's bust so pleased Jones that he had numerous plaster copies made for his friends.
Admiral Ben Moreell Memorial
This bronze sculpture, dedicated in 1973, was designed by Felix DeWeldon, sculptor of 2,000 public monuments, most notably the Marine Corps Iwo Jima War Memorial, to honor Admiral Moreell, known as the "Father of the Seebees." Recognized as one of the top ten men influencing construction, Moreell's "can do" attitude brought him recognition as one of the most influential individuals in the organization of the construction trades and the advancement of Civil Engineering Corps in World War II combat zones.
Submarine Service Centennial Memorial
This bronze and marble statue was designed by sculptor Paul Wegner and dedicated in 2000, a gift of submarine veterans as a memorial to those lost at sea. During World War II, 374 Officers and 3,131 men lost their lives holding the line against the enemy and are "still on patrol."
Statues of Vice Admirals William P. Lawrence & James B. Stockdale
Lawrence M. Ludke sculpted these statues, which were given in 2008 by Academy graduate Ross Perot, in memory of two of the Navy's most decorated officers, both Viet Nam prisoners of war. Ludke also sculpted Presidents Reagan, Johnson and Kennedy and was commissioned by the State of Maryland to create a bronze sculpture for the Gettysburg Battlefield. The resulting nine foot work depicts two wounded soldiers helping each other off the battlefield, an image that could also apply to Vice Admirals Lawrence and Stockdale, who suffered imprisonment, torture and solitary confinement in Hanoi for seven years.
Statue of Lt. General John A. Lejeune
Patrick Dane Miller's bronze statue of the Thirteenth Commandant of the Marine Corp unveiled in 2002 is a gift of Corporate Executive Patrick Taylor. Lejeune, a native of Louisiana who served the USMC for forty years was known as "the greatest of the Leathernecks."
Maryland State House & Grounds
Statue of Roger Brooke Taney
The bronze statue represents the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, a native Marylander famed for casting the decisive vote in the Dred Scott decision, which denied African-Americans the rights of citizenship. An example of the classical style in which William Henry Rinehart, founder of the Rinehart School of Sculpture at the Maryland Art Institute, excelled, the statue was dedicated in 1872.
Statue of Thurgood Marshall
Dedicated in 1996 to the first African-American Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court, Baltimore-born Thurgood Marshal, this bronze statue is the work of Maryland-based sculptor Antonio Tobias ("Toby") Mendez who is also known for his depictions of stars of the Baltimore Orioles baseball team. He is the son of retired CIA agent and painter Tony Mendez, whose exploits in gaining the freedom of American hostages in Iran was celebrated in the film "Argo."
Statue of Rear Admiral Winfield Scott Schley
This statue authorized in 1902 by the Maryland General Assembly honors a native of Frederick County and hero of the Spanish-American War. It was installed in 1904 and sculpted by Baltimore sculptor Ernest Keyser.
Maryland Senate Chambers
Statue of John Hanson
This work by Richard E Brooks is a smaller replica of the bronze statue in the National Statutary Hall in the U.S. Capitol. John Hanson, who was born in Charles County, Maryland, spent much of his political life in Frederick County, was a signer of the Declaration of Independence and served as President of the Continental Congress. The replica was installed in 1905.
Statue of Charles Carroll of Carrollton
Like the preceding entry, this work is also a smaller version of a bronze statue in the U.S. Capitol. Its subject was the scion of one of the oldest of Maryland's Catholic families and one of the new nation's wealthiest men, owner of large land parcels located throughout Maryland. He died at 95, the last of the signers of the Declaration of Independence.
Statue of Louis L. Goldstein
This eight foot bronze statue by sculptor Jay Hall Carpenter, elected into the National Sculptor Society before the age of thirty, memorializes Louis L. Goldstein a native of Calvert County, Maryland, Marine Corp veteran, lawyer, legislator and Comptroller of Maryland from 1959 to 1998, the longest serving public official in the State. The memorial statue was dedicated on April 3, 2002.
The Maryland Firefighters Memorial
This memorial titled "Between Morning and Night" was sculpted by Rodney Carroll, recognized nationally for his large scale sculptures. The memorial was dedicated on June 11, 2006.
A semi-abstract work by Maryland sculptor Bobby Donovan, which has been described as evoking the ribs of a sunken ship with fish hovering above, was selected in a competition sponsored by the Annapolis Art in Public Places Commission. It is a temporary installation, due to be replaced by another competition winner in the near future.
Outer West Street
Statue of Wiley Bates
Born into slavery in North Carolina in 1859, Wiley Bates became a successful businessman and community leader in Annapolis. His contribution of $500 helped build the County’s High School for African-American students that opened in 1933 two years before he died. The restored Bates High School at the corner of Russell and Smithville Streets, named in his honor, serves the Senior Center, the Boys and Girls Club and senior apartments. The Heritage Center opened in 2006 with the unveiling of Wiley Bates in bronze by Maryland Sculptor Antonio Tobias Mendez, also the artist for the statue of Thurgood Marshall in 1996.
Statue of Dr. Aris T. Allen
This art work in the park on Chinquapin Round Road and Forest Drive near Aris Allen Boulevard is the first public sculpture of an African-American in Annapolis. Unveiled in 1994, the sculpture honors Aris Allen (1910-1991), Doctor, Maryland Legislator, First African-American Chair of the Maryland Republican Party, national and community leader. The bronze bust was sculpted by Marial Kirby-Smith from Camden, SC, the great - granddaughter of a Confederate General.
Hilltop Lane, North Green
Untitled Sculpture - Hilltop Lane
This contemporary steel sculpture is the work of Baltimore artist John Ferguson, who studied at Maryland Art Institute’s Rinehart School of Sculpture. Examples of his outdoor sculpture can be seen throughout the United States.
St. Mary's Church & Grounds
Sculpture "Blessed Francis Xavier Seelos"
Franco Allessandrini, the 2004 sculpture's maker, arrived in New Orleans from Italy as artist-in-residence for the City's 1994 World's Fair. Father Seelos, a Redemptorist missionary who served at Annapolis' St. Mary's Church in 1862, spent much of his priesthood ministering to the sick and needy. Father Seelos was beatified in 2000 by Pope John Paul II. Allesandrini's "Displaced," an artwork featuring an abandoned boat perched atop a building, was commissioned by New Orleans' Art in Pubic Places program as an enduring tribute to the victims of Hurricane Katrina who found themselves in places they didn't expect.
Statue "Lady of Fatima"
This work by Washington, DC artist Leo Irerra is the gift of St. Mary's High School class of 1998. It replaces a sculpted tableau donated by the Catholic Daughters of America in 1949 that was vandalized in the early 1990s.
St. John's College Grounds
The 2012 bronze sculpture is the work of Wisconsin artist Will Jauquet, who began his career as a wood sculptor in the 1980s, progressing to bronzes cast in the lost wax manner used in this example.
Sculpture "David Hayes"
This welded steel abstract sculpture was given as a gift to The Mitchell Gallery at St. John's College in 2013 by the artist David Hayes. An award winning artist, Hayes designed many outdoor abstract sculptures constructed from welded steel.