Getting Started and Adequate Public Facilities

The Department of Planning and Zoning has many resources available to help people who need permitting and planning approval.

Basic Questions

Do you have some basic questions about Planning and Zoning? Look at our frequently asked questions.

Search for Permits or Projects

To find out about a specific permit or project (such as a building permit, site design or variance), visit the Online Permit and Project Center.

Adequate Public Facilities

For information on Title 22, visit Adequate Public Facilities.  This includes standards required by code and additional published applied standards that each department uses to evaluate public facilities and the impact of a new development.  

Technical Guidance

Are you working on a site plan and need technical guidance? Our Site Plan Production Guidance July 2016 (PDF) will help you work through the specific requirements for everything from tree preservation, water quality, soil management, planting, streetscape elements, and more.  You can also refer to:

1986 Parking and Landscaping Manual (PDF)

1997 Street Tree Master Plan (PDF)

If you are working on a forest conservation plan, the City has released a local Forest Conservation Technical Manual (PDF).  The Forest Conservation Technical Manual outlines submittal requirements for Forest Strand Delineations and includes required information for the approval of Forest Conservation Plans such as specific forest conservation criteria and protection techniques.


The City relies on the standards set forth by by the Tree Care Industry Association.  These ANSI A300 standards are the generally accepted industry standards for tree care practices.

For more information about the City's tree laws, see the Urban Forestry page.  


Do you want to know the zoning for a particular property? Visit the Zoning Maps and then look for the street name in the index. Then go to the map number as indicated.

If you have other zoning questions, please call us between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. at 410-260-2200, or email: