Certified Environmental Stewards
The following businesses have incorporated environmentally sustainable practices into their business operations. In order to be certified, they have each earned enough qualifying points from a comprehensive checklist of environmental best practices and passed a verification inspection.
Scotty's Automotive Service*
- Address: 147 Gibralter Avenue
- Uses secondary containment for all bulk hazardous materials
- Uses an aqueous (water-based) parts cleaning system
- Scotty's Automotive Service website
The Georgian House Bed & Breakfast*
- Address: 170 Duke of Gloucester Street
- All cleaning products are biodegradable, and do not contain nitrilotriacetic acid, chlorine bleach or phosphates
- Recently made improvements to improve the B and B's energy efficiency
- Georgian House Bed and Breakfast website
Loews Annapolis Hotel*
- Address: 126 West Street
- Conducted an energy audit within the past year, and saved about one third on energy
- Has a green team that meets monthly so that employees can exchange ideas and become more familiar with environmental best practices
- Loews Annapolis Hotel website
The Westin Annapolis Hotel*
- Address: 100 Westgate Circle
- One of only two Westin Hotels worldwide that have fostered relationships with local farmers to provide their meat and produce needs (the other is Paris Westin)
- Provides recycling to customers and employees
- Westin Annapolis Hotel website
Annapolis & Anne Arundel County Conference & Visitors Bureau*
- Address: 26 West Street
- Recently renovated building featuring insulated windows and low-VOC carpeting
- Created a garden with all native perennials to keep maintenance at a minimum
- Visitors Bureau website
Public Policy Partners
- Address: 48 Maryland Avenue
- Recently replaced all light fixtures with energy efficient models, and uses natural sunlight throughout the day as a main source of light
- Uses services from a local businessman who collects paper to shred and sell to horse farms for bedding
- Maryland Advocacy website
K&B True Value*
- Address: 912 Forest Drive
- Sells and uses their own brand of low-VOC paint, which has VOC levels that meet Green Seal's product standards
- Changed lighting fixtures to more efficient fluorescents in 100% of fixtures
- K and B True Value website
A Cook's Cafe'+
- Address: 911 Commerce Road
- Purchase coffee and tea that is Fair Trade and/or Rainforest Alliance Certified
- Buy seafood from the Atlantic U.S. waters when available
- Established a composting regimen
- A Cook's Cafe website
Azure Restaurant* (in the Westin Hotel)
- Address: 100 Westgate Circle
- Executive Chef James Barret uses honey in his recipes from two hives he keeps on the second floor roof.
- Azure purchases much of their meat and eggs from Ivy Neck Farms, a local and organic farm in Harwood
- Azure Restaurant website
Brian Boru +
- 589 Ritchie Highway
Severna Park, MD
- Elimination of 99% of all plastic products used in the service of food and beverage items.
- The bar is made with recycled oak wood from abandoned barns in Pennsylvania.
- Bake their own bread for their use
- Installed 2.2 gpm faucets and aerators
- Participated in a Biggest Loser program to promote healthy habits among their employees
- Brian Boru website
Boatyard Bar & Grill**
- Address: 400 Fourth Street
- Donates to and participates in environmental conservation activities through non-profit organizations including 1% For The Planet, Chesapeake Bay Foundation, and Coastal Conservation Association.
- Installed an herb garden along an adjacent building on Fourth St. for educational purposes
- Boatyard Bar and Grill website
- Address: 400 Chester Avenue
- A neighborhood pub "Where there are no strangers, just friends you haven't met yet."
- Significantly reduced their electricity use by installing an on-demand water heater.
- Davis' Pub website
- Address: 63 Maryland Avenue
- Works closely with distributor to find sources of fresh, local meat and produce and trains staff on items included in their allergen-free menu.
- Composts their food and paper waste to reduce the amount of trash output.
- Galway Bay website
Herrington Harbour +
- 7149 Lake Shore Drive
- Known as an eco-lifestyle marina resort
- Herrington Harbour North installed a system to re-use 100% of all wastewater at its Travelift wells.
- Herrington Harbour website
Herrington on the Bay+-
- 7151 Lake Shore Drive
Rose Haven, MD
- Participate in or sponsor voluntary environmental projects to reduce environmental impacts
- Send waste cooking oil to a recycling facility
- Purchased hybrid or alternative fuel vehicles for business
- Herrington Bay website
Killarney House +
- 584 W Central Avenue
- Works with smaller local farms to source hormone free, organic meat products.
- Participates in the Malawi Friends Project - to bring 15 water wells to the Nkhamenya region in Africa.
- Recycle ink-jet cartridges and cell phones
- Support Annapolis bakeries by purchasing their goods
- Incorporated a "Heart Smart" food section to their menu
- Killarney House website
Lemongrass West Street**
- Address: 167 West Street
- Increased recycling efforts to reduce trash output by 50%
- Uses bamboo flooring - a renewable resource.
- Lemongrass website
The Metropolitan Kitchen & Lounge
- Address: 169 West Street
- The Metropolitan specializes in farm-to-table dining, sourcing their ingredients from local farms and purveyors. They incorporate sustainable, earth-friendly, grass-fed meats, and healthy food into their philosophy.
- Most of the items on their menu contain local ingredients, and much of their beer, wine, and liquor are domestically sourced
- Metropolitan Kitchen website
- Address: 400 Sixth Street
- Purchases clean energy to offset carbon emissions
- Built an organic herb and vegetable garden on the restaurant's roof
- Rockfish website
Sam's Waterfront Cafe'
- Address: 2020 Chesapeake Harbor Drive
- Purchase local wine to sell in their establishment
- Installed a wastewater grease recovery system
- Eliminated harmful chemicals and fertilizers used for landscaping and maintenance
- Sam's Waterfront Cafe website
- 6158 Drum Point Road
- Built a herb garden at their restaurant
- Participate in the Oyster Recovery Partnership's Shell Recycling Alliance
- Use dumpster plugs to eliminate liquid waste runoff
- Skipper's Pier website
- Address: 909 Bay Ridge Avenue
- The kitchen in this Eastport wine café uses their own organic herbs and vegetables grown in the back garden behind the patio.
- Executive Chef Justin Moore makes his own mozzarella, and over half of his menu items feature local ingredients.
- Vin 909 website
Weems & Plath
- Address: 214 Eastern Avenue
- Uses biodegradable packing materials made from cornstarch, shredded recycled office paper, newspaper, and reused packing materials.
- Has been a part of the Annapolis economy providing jobs for over 80 years.
- Weems and Plath website
Free technical assistance and resources referrals are a key part of the program. For more information about the Annapolis Environmental Stewardship Program, please call 410-263-7946.
+ In conjunction with Anne Arundel County Economic Development Corporation