- Departments and Offices
- Planning & Zoning
Planning & Zoning
Planning & Zoning is comprised of five divisions:
The Department of Planning and Zoning is responsible for all development review, permitting, inspections, and licensing relating to all facets of City Code. This includes construction, rental housing, zoning, Critical Area compliance, and construction trades. The Department is also responsible for long-range planning, historic preservation, economic development, and community development activities within the City.
- Community Development plans and administers the City's Community Development Block Grant program
- Provides permits and inspections of construction activity to promote safety and code compliance.
- Licenses and inspects all rental housing to ensure safe and sanitary living conditions.
- Licenses contractors doing business in the City.
- Provides pre-application meetings (PDF) for those interested in a property prior to leasing.
- Works with applicants to open or expand businesses.
- Prepares necessary plans, studies, and programs to implement the City's Comprehensive Plan
- Conducts development review and site design plan review
- Administers and enforces the City's zoning ordinance and subdivision regulations
- Approves projects in the Historic District
- Engages in special studies and projects impacting on future growth, development and quality of life.
2040 Comprehensive Plan
Rethink zoning. How do we improve housing affordability and access to opportunity? The Comprehensive Plan is a chance to change the way we regulate land use in the City and bring more equity across the board to City residents.
Annapolis Ahead. Bridging Barriers. Connecting Communities. The City of Annapolis Plan, serving as the update to the City’s comprehensive plan, will focus on protecting and enhancing neighborhood health, supporting economic growth and diversity, and ensuring that the local environment is resilient.