The Human Resources Office is operational during the City’s closure for COVID-19, but the office on Gorman Street is closed to the public.
We are very sorry that due to technical difficulties the on-line application is not allowing you to file a new application. Please contact us at email@example.com and we will get you an application for the position you wish to apply for. We appreciate your interest in employment with the City of Annapolis.
City employees should check the City employee portal for frequently asked questions about leave policies and telework options during the COVID-19 state of emergency.
- Additional Considerations for Supervisors COVID-19 (PDF)
- City of Annapolis COVID-19 Pandemic Policy in response to Families First Coronavirus Response Act (PDF)
- COVID-19 City of Annapolis Notification Process - Flowchart (PDF)
- COVID-19 Temporary Teleworking Agreement (PDF)
- Temporary City Telework Policy Related to COVID-19 (PDF)
The Human Resources Department administers the provisions of the City Charter and Code that pertain to employee appointments and promotions, recruitment and retention, benefits and wellness, classification and compensation, performance and training, personnel records, separation and retirement, and employee and labor relations.
The Human Resource Department provides staffing and support to the Civil Service Board, Public Safety Disability Retirement Board, and the Human Relations Commission. Human Resources also works as part of the City's Union negotiating team, the Police and Fire Retirement Plan Commission, and Risk Management Policy group.
The Human Resources Department is committed to actively recruiting highly qualified and diverse applicants, retaining and engaging employees by offering competitive and comprehensive benefits, providing ongoing education and learning opportunities, and ensuring a safe and equitable work environment for all employees and citizens. We embrace a proactive philosophy dedicated to providing exemplary service by identifying significant human resources issues and developing innovative, cost-effective solutions.
- Recruits, examines, and recommends to appointing authorities applicants for authorized City positions.
- Administers entrance and promotional exams, and prepares lists of person eligible for hiring and promotion.
- Develops and maintains the City-wide classification and compensation plan.
- Develops and administers employee benefits including medical, dental, vision, prescription drug, Employee Assistant Program (EAP), Core and voluntary life, short term and long term disability, deferred compensation, Pension and retirement programs, medical and dependent care, flexible spending accounts, workers compensation, credit union, leave (annual, sick, personal).
- Coordinates the annual performance management program for all City employees.
- Oversees the disciplinary program and subsequent grievance and appeal processes under union or civil service provisions.
- Participates in the negotiation and is responsible for the administration of fire, police, trades, and clerical collective bargaining agreements.
- Coordinates and administers retirement plans for civilian and public safety employees.
- Creates and implements quality of life mandates, including fair labor standards, family medial leave, harassment, drug abuse, disabilities, and equal employment opportunity.
- Plans, coordinates and delivers City-wide training for employees that fosters administrative goals and objectives.
- Implements and maintains the newly acquired Human Resource Information System.