One of the key concerns in historic downtown Annapolis is access to and from residential and commercial spaces.
Each day, as large trucks are parked and double-parked to make deliveries, they take up much-needed customer parking, create unsafe driving conditions, and snarl traffic preventing residents and customers from reaching their destination.
We recognize the obvious need for businesses to receive deliveries, but we are seeking a solution to traffic and safety concerns in the most challenging downtown areas: around Memorial Circle, Conduit Street, Main Street and Dock Street during the most challenging times of the day: between 11 a.m. and 6 p.m.
The City, in consultation with local business owners and residents developed this Loading Zone policy to improve traffic flow and safety in historic downtown.
Loading Zone Policy:
- Deliveries by large commercial trucks must be completed before 10 a.m. (11 am in certain locations)
- Increasing the size and number of Loading Zones during the 6 to 10 a.m.
- The AM Loading Zones will be for Large commercial trucks only
- Increasing enforcement to ensure they are not blocked by non-commercial vehicles
- Adding Flex Loading Zones throughout the day to accommodate box trucks and curbside pick-up for restaurants and retail stores
- Installing Emergency Loading Zones for delayed deliveries (after 10 a.m.)
- Increasing Loading Zone and right-of-way enforcement in Downtown Annapolis
These changes will improve the quality of life for Annapolis residents without impeding the important flow of commerce. Thank you in advance for your support, cooperation and patience.