- Departments and Offices
- Planning & Zoning
- Licenses & Permits
- Rental Licenses
- Short Term Rental Portal
Short Term Rental Portal
Welcome to the Short Term Rental Portal
Who has to register on this portal?
Anyone who wants to lease the use or occupancy, in exchange for rent, of all or part of a dwelling unit to provide accommodations to transient guests. This includes people who advertise on a hosting platform. A “hosting platform” is an internet based entity that in exchange for rent, facilitates reservations and booking transactions of short-term residential rentals, such as Airbnb, HomeAway or VRBO.
Use this portal to:
- Register for a short-term rental license
- Register for free for Navy/Boat Show rental only (for tax purposes)
- Pay Occupancy Tax
- Renew an existing short-term rental license
What you need before you log in:
- Property Tax Id number ("Account ID/Account Identifier”)
- Your sales and use tax account number. If you need this number, call the Office of the Comptroller, State of Maryland, at 1-800-638-2937
- Your existing short term rental license number (if renewing)
- If you will only rent your dwelling during boat show or Navy Graduation (You will apply for an “NBS” registration, which is free)
Any property that uses a hosting platform must pay an occupancy tax under Anne Arundel County Code. For more information, see the County Code, Section § 4-6-105. Use or occupancy tax.
From Anne Arundel County Code:
"Short-term rental” means a facility that offers sleeping accommodations to the transient public for rent, including a hotel, motel, inn, bed and breakfast home, bed and breakfast inn, rooming house, as defined in § 18-1-101 of this Code, and short-term residential rentals. For purposes of this definition, “short-term residential rental” means the use or occupancy, facilitated by a hosting platform in exchange for rent, of all or part of a dwelling unit to provide accommodations to transient guests for no more than 120 consecutive days in a calendar year.
Levy and amount of tax. There is an occupancy tax levied on the rent paid for the use of a short-term rental in the County. The rate of the tax is 7% of the rent. The occupancy tax levied under this section shall be considered the hotel tax referred to in § 20-603 of the Local Government Article of the State Code.