Annapolis Ahead. Bridging Barriers. Connecting Communities. Welcome to the ABCs of planning in Annapolis. The City of Annapolis Plan, serving as the 2020 update to the City’s comprehensive plan, will focus on protecting and enhancing neighborhood health, supporting economic growth and diversity, and ensuring that the local environment is resilient.
What is a Comprehensive Plan?
A Comprehensive Plan is a broad statement about the community, looking approximately 20 years ahead. The plan includes goals and strategies to achieve the goals, with specific performance measures and targets that will help determine if these goals are being met. We will be looking at how we can ensure healthy communities, healthy economies, and healthy environments.
What’s New? Latest Information on the Plan
Sign up for the City’s Notifications and News Flash email listservs. The Planning and Zoning Department has a general News Flash and a weekly Comprehensive Plan Update.
- The new plan will build on the 2009 Comprehensive Plan with public input, data collection, goal definition, strategies, performance measures, and performance targets to ensure that it all gets put into action.
- The Demographic and Economic Profile and Real Estate Market Analysis for the Annapolis Comprehensive Plan Update and the summary PowerPoint from November 14, 2019.
- For additional information on subsidized multi-family housing see the Five-Year Consolidated Housing and Community Development Plan, which will be updated this Spring.
- Did you get a chance to catch Strong Town’s Chuck Moran’s presentation on October 10, 2019? He discusses how jurisdictions can encourage sustainable development.
- How to talk to your neighbors about the Comprehensive Plan: On the Table will guide you through background information and key topics.
- What is a form-based code? Learn about this approach to zoning that focuses more on form than use (but doesn’t ignore use altogether).
Parts of a Comprehensive Plan
Certain sections of the plan are required by the Land Use Article from State of Maryland Law. The plan will begin with a demographic analysis of the City and will also include sections on:
- Land Use
- Water Resources and Sea Level Rise
- Historic and Neighborhood Conservation
- Parks and Community Facilities
- Sensitive Areas
- Municipal Growth
The plan guides decision-making and directs implementation actions. Implementation happens through the combined efforts of individuals, communities, civic groups, and the City government. Many of the plan’s goals and policies reflect this shared responsibility. The City’s two main implementation tools are regulating development and funding capital improvements such as roads and parks.
One first step is to critically examine all that we’ve accomplished in the last 10 years since the 2009 Plan and all that we were unable to accomplish, so we can begin thinking about what is next for the City.
Jakubiak & Associates Inc.
Jakubiak & Associates is a Maryland-based planning firm that has worked regularly with numerous municipalities in the region, including Annapolis, on comprehensive planning, zoning, land use analyses, and strategizing for policy mechanisms and regulation to put findings and concepts into action.
The firm’s role in the Comprehensive Plan update is to analyze the City’s land use data, develop policy and regulatory solutions that encourage a desired Annapolis revealed throughout the process, draft sections of the plan, and provide guidance to City staff working on the plan in whatever area necessary.
BAE Urban Economics
BAE is an urban economics and public-benefit real estate development consulting practice with connections to Annapolis that accounts for sustainable economics, equity, and the environment in considering practical city solutions. They have broad experience in feasibility studies, strategic planning, revitalization, public-private transactions, public financing, fiscal and economic impacts analyses, and development advisory services.
For the Comprehensive Plan, their role is to assemble a complete demographic and economic profile of Annapolis, conduct a real estate market analysis, and project land use under varying conditions, while relying on the aforementioned analyses, to inform decisions.
Stantec is a global multi-disciplinary firm that specializes in planning, engineering, and design among other areas. They regularly invest in internal research and push the boundaries of knowledge in topics such as sustainability, technology, and adapting to change, to inform the projects and services they provide for municipalities across the U.S. and internationally.
Their role, as a widely connected and specialized firm, involves building on the analyses conducted by the other consultants to evaluate and provide new and alternative approaches to development with data-supported concepts and illustrations to support community character objectives. Drawing from their expertise and partnerships, they will also provide recommendations related to transportation, public services, infrastructure improvements, and happiness and health interventions. The firm is also able to assist in the public outreach and engagement component.
WHAT HAVE WE ACCOMPLISHED FROM THE 2009 COMPREHENSIVE PLAN...