“Urban Forestry is a specialized branch of forestry that has as its objective the cultivation and management of trees for their present and potential contribution to the physiological, sociological and economic well-being of urban society...” (Society of American Foresters 1974)
- City Code
- Tree Removal Application
- All deciduous replacement trees shall be native and a minimum of one inch in diameter measured six inches off the ground. All coniferous trees shall be native and a minimum of five feet in height.
- The Tree Care Industry Association ANSI A300 standard
- Other site guidance
City Code Chapter 14.12 Trees
- Applies when no grading permit, building permit, or site design plan review are required.
- The removal of any tree over five inches in diameter at breast height (dbh) requires a tree permit when the tree is within the legally defined front, side, or rear setbacks of any residential or commercial property next to a public right-of-way. For setback info: City Code Chapter 21.50 – Bulk Regulations Tables. Download, fill out and submit a tree removal permit as instructed in the document.
- The removal of any tree in the Historic District requires approval of the Historic Preservation Commission. Please submit a tree removal permit and an HPC Administrative Approval Application. Check to see if your property is in the Historic District.
- Tree replacement requirements for aforementioned items 2 and 3:
Removed tree Replacement Tree(s) Greater than 20" 3 trees 10.1—20″ Diameter breast height (dbh) 2 trees 5—10″ Diameter breast height (dbh) 1 tree
- The removal of any tree within a hundred feet of the water requires a simplified buffer management plan or a buffer management plan for buffer exemption area or a major/minor buffer management plan. Please submit the forms to the Department of Planning and Zoning (P&Z).
- The removal of any tree in a conservation easement area requires approval of the City’s Conservancy Board. Please submit a tree permit. Please check to see if part of your property is in a conservation easement or next to one.