The Annapolis Waterworks Park is a passive recreational facility operated by the Annapolis Recreation and Parks Department. This Park is one of the few open space resources in the area which provides the public with hiking trails, as well as places to picnic and fish. There are miles of nature trails and a picnic pavilion (first-come, first-serve.) Waterworks Park is located at 260 Defense Highway, about one mile past the Annapolis Mall. There are three fresh water fishing ponds – catch and release fishing only (the fish cannot be taken home.) Maryland fishing licenses; apply and purchase at the Maryland Department of Natural Resources (Rowe Blvd) in Annapolis.
Permit Information- entrance to the park is by permit only.
The permits sold by ARPD are for access to Waterworks Park only. Due to the Park’s ecological sensitivity and limited parking, all visitors are required to obtain a permit to use the park. Permits are issued to City of Annapolis and Anne Arundel County residents only. Valid identification must be provided prior to the issuance of any permit. Permits are sold on the 15th of the month prior to the permitted month. Example: July permits on sale June 15th, August permits on sale July 15th, etc. All permits are sold on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Permit Costs (please note: only 30 monthly permits and 50 quarterly permits are issued):
City of Annapolis Resident Rates:
Monthly $10 / Quarterly $30 / Annual $100
Anne Arundel County Resident Rates:
Monthly $15 / Quarterly $45 / Annual $125
In order to prove residency, we need a copy of your driver’s license. Please remember to have your "hang tag" visible in your car while parked at the park. We also recommend having your receipt on hand while you're at Waterworks Park too as the receipt has the combination to the lock which allows you to access the park.
Permits are available for purchase from Annapolis Recreation and Parks located at the "Pip" Moyer Recreation Center at Truxtun Park, 273 Hilltop Lane in Annapolis during building hours.
Unless otherwise exempted by the State of Maryland, all persons fishing in Waterworks Park must possess a valid State of Maryland Non-Tidal Fishing License. All of the Maryland fishing rules and regulations must be observed. Following the Maryland rules, individuals under age 16 are not required to possess a Maryland license.
There is a “catch-and-release” policy for Waterworks Park. All fish caught must be returned to the water immediately (except for minnows that are used as bait). No outside fish may be brought into Waterworks Park and released into the waters.HOURS - 7 a.m. to dusk, seven days a week, 12 months of the year.
Rules and Regulations
This park is home to a wide variety of wildlife and we ask that you treat the natural surroundings with respect. For everyone’s safety and enjoyment, the following rules and regulations must be followed or your permit will be revoked:
- Entrance to the park is by permit only. Obey posted park hours (see above); park closes at dusk.
- Stay off the dam.
- No fires of any kind. No smoking.
- Please do not enter any of the buildings or small pump houses. There is very dangerous high voltage electrical equipment in these structures.
- Do not go beyond the designated trails. We ask that you respect all private property. The white farm house and the large brick pump house near the entrance to the park are not part of the park operations. Please refrain from approaching either building.
- No wheeled vehicles of any kind except strollers, wheelchairs and other mobility vehicles for the handicapped. No bicycles, of any kind, are permitted on any of the trails.
- The person whose name appears on the permit is responsible for the conduct of the group.
- Children must always be supervised by an adult.
- You are expected to help maintain the park’s natural beauty. Do not cut or dig up trees or plants. Do not harm or harass wildlife. No hunting.
- No swimming, wading, or bathing allowing.
- No ice skating or boating is allowed.
- The possession of firearms, fireworks or weapons of any kind is strictly prohibited.
- No alcoholic beverages or controlled substances are allowed in the park.
- Pets are prohibited.
- Please use the trash receptacles located adjacent to the entrance gate. If the cans are full, we ask that you please take your trash with you.
- Report any accident or injury to the Annapolis Recreation and Parks Department at 410-263-7958.