The Annapolis Waterworks Park is a passive recreational facility operated by the Annapolis Recreation and Parks Department. This Park is one of the few open space resources in the area which provides the public with hiking and most recently biking trails as well as places to picnic and fish. There are miles of nature trails and a picnic pavilion (first-come, first-serve.) Waterworks Park is located at 260 Defense Highway, about one mile past the Annapolis Mall. There are three fresh water fishing ponds – catch and release fishing only (the fish cannot be taken home.) Maryland fishing licenses; apply and purchase at the Maryland Department of Natural Resources (West Street) service center in Annapolis.
In fall 2019, the City of Annapolis worked with Mid-Atlantic Off-Road Enthusiasts (MORE) to create more than 600 acres of hiking and bicycle trails at Waterworks Park with entry points off of Defense Highway and Housley Road. There is no fee to ride or hike these trails, but you have to get there on foot or by bicycle. Learn more about this wonderful amenity at https://more-mtb.org/products/waterworks-park.
Unless otherwise exempted by the State of Maryland, all persons fishing in Waterworks Park must possess a valid State of Maryland Non-Tidal Fishing License. All of the Maryland fishing rules and regulations must be observed. Following the Maryland rules, individuals under age 16 are not required to possess a Maryland license.
There is a “catch-and-release” policy for Waterworks Park. All fish caught must be returned to the water immediately (except for minnows that are used as bait). No outside fish may be brought into Waterworks Park and released into the waters.
Waterworks Park is open daily from dawn until dusk (year-round.)
For permit information and pricing, please review the Waterworks Park Brochure.
Rules and Regulations
This park is home to a wide variety of wildlife and we ask that you treat the natural surroundings with respect. For everyone’s safety and enjoyment, the following rules and regulations must be followed or your permit will be revoked:
- Entrance to the park is by permit only.
- Open daily from dawn until dusk.
- Stay off the dam.
- No fires of any kind. No smoking.
- Please do not enter any of the buildings or small pump houses. There is very dangerous high voltage electrical equipment in these structures.
- Do not go beyond the designated trails. We ask that you respect all private property. The white farm house and the large brick pump house near the entrance to the park are not part of the park operations. Please refrain from approaching either building.
- Strollers, wheelchairs and other mobility vehicles for the handicapped are permitted. As of October 2019, bikes are allowed but only on designated trails.
- The person whose name appears on the permit is responsible for the conduct of the group.
- Children must always be supervised by an adult.
- You are expected to help maintain the park’s natural beauty. Do not cut or dig up trees or plants. Do not harm or harass wildlife. No hunting.
- No swimming, wading, or bathing allowing.
- No ice skating or boating is allowed.
- The possession of firearms, fireworks or weapons of any kind is strictly prohibited.
- No alcoholic beverages or controlled substances are allowed in the park.
- Pets are prohibited.
- Please use the trash receptacles located adjacent to the entrance gate. If the cans are full, we ask that you please take your trash with you.
- Report any accident or injury to the Annapolis Recreation and Parks Department at 410-263-7958.