David Jarrell Named Acting City Manager
Annapolis, MD (7-30-14) Annapolis Mayor Michael Pantelides announced that Public Works Director David Jarrell will be the Acting City Manager effective July 31, 2014.
“Mr. Jarrell has agreed to take on the duties of the position for the next few months, helping to fulfill the needs of the City as we continue our search for a City Manger,” Mayor Pantelides said. “I want to personally thank Mr. Jarrell for his dedication and service to our citizens.”
Mr. Jarrell’s engineering career spans over three decades. He retired from the U.S. Navy’s Civil Engineer Corps in 1998. Prior to coming to Annapolis in 2010, he served as the City of San Diego, California Deputy Chief Operating Officer, where he oversaw five operating departments. There, Mr. Jarrell led a large staff that consisted of more than 1,900 employees, with a $454 million dollar budget.
Mr. Jarrell was confirmed by City Council on October 11, 2010 and has extensive experience in the areas of engineering and construction of capital projects, environmental services, and public works management. Some of his department’s recent accomplishments include:
- Managed the contracting and design of the new water treatment plant project. Construction started this month, and is expected to be complete in early 2016.
- Developed and implemented a comprehensive plan for the upgrade of City streets and sidewalks.
- On-time and on-budget completion of the renovation of City Hall and the office relocation project that allow the establishment of the Central Permit counter.
- Re-vamped the City's detailed snow removal plans and operations to improve the timeliness and effectiveness of winter storm response.
- Re-vamped the recycling program such that the City's rate of landfill diversion has increased to over 40%.
- Completed a managed competition for solid waste collection and the successful transition to contractor collections.
- Remodeled the building and contracted with new vendors to allow the Market House to re-open.
He is a registered professional engineer in the states of Maryland, California, Pennsylvania, and Virginia. He is an active member of the American Public Works Association and the American Society of Civil Engineers.
Marcia Patrick, Assistant Director of Public Works, will be the Acting Director of Public Works.