News Releases and Media Advisories

Annapolis Market House Officially Opens

Annapolis, MD (9-7-13) The community, City staff and business owners all joined together to welcome the new Market House tenants and to officially open the historic market. Annapolis Mayor Joshua J. Cohen made a big splash at today’s grand opening by keeping his word that he would "walk the plank" as he plunged into Annapolis’ Ego Alley, in his business suit and tie, in front of more than 300 spectators.

It was all part of a ribbon cutting ceremony to introduce the new tenants and keep his word that he would “walk the plank” if the Market House was not open by his self-imposed deadline of last October.

The Tenants are:

·       Yellowfin Seafood & Oyster Bar

·       Hard Bean Café

·       Carl’s Corned Beef & Delicatessen

·       Midship Fresh Bar

·       Annapolis Organic Market

·       Good Life Smoothie Bar

·       Firenzes Gelateria

·       Amsterdam Falafelshop

During the ceremony, each business owner was introduced to the audience. Then the Mayor, Annapolis City Alderpersons, local leaders, and the Market House tenants cut the ribbon, officially opening the Market House.

Shortly after the applause and excitement, former Police Chief Joseph Johnson came up to the podium and said that the Mayor had failed to fulfill an obligation. Just then, more than a dozen small “pirates” emerged from the audience and with swords in hand escorted the Mayor and Chief Johnson to a pirate boat waiting in Ego Alley.

Pirate Adventures on the Chesapeake, located at 311 Third Street, made sure a pirate boat, worthy of walking the plank, was waiting for the Mayor. It took him to the middle of Ego Alley where Mayor Cohen walked to the end of the plank, took a deep breath, and took the plunge.  When he surfaced to much applause, he was wearing a ball cap with IT'S OPEN embroidered on it and urged everyone to go enjoy the Market House.

There has been a Market House at City Dock since the late 1780’s, and while it moved several times, it has always been located in the heart of the Historic District. The existing structure was built in 1858 and underwent a major renovation and restoration in 1972 and today we see a new rebirth of this historic building that has served the citizens and visitors of Annapolis over the past 200 + years.  

For more information on each of the new tenants, go to www.markethousemerchants.com