Annapolis Recreation and Parks offers a variety of programs and activities for all ages at very reasonable prices. For the very young or the young-at-heart, keep up with our latest activities by joining our e-mail list. Register here
From youth and adult athletic leagues to yoga classes and horseback riding, there are a number of programs which will meet your recreational interests. Want to train for a triathlon? Learn more about the Wonder Women Duathlon and Triathlon training (see sidebar links.)
We also offer massage therapy at PMRC by a licensed therapist, Josephine "Jo" Gosnell, who is also one of our personal trainers. Massage appointments are open to members and non-members alike! Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
for additional information or to make an appointment.
Revolution Kids bicycle program
-- ARPD welcomes any teenager to join Revolution Kids -- a program in which teens fix up bikes and earn one of their own! Interested participants should complete the Revolution Kids Application
. If you would like additional information, please e-mail email@example.com
ACHIEVE Annapolis -- the Annapolis Community Health Initiative (ACHI)
Annapolis is an ACHIEVE city! We are one of 40 communities around the country, selected by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, to embark on an important public health effort. ACHIEVE Annapolis aims to improve our metropolis by promoting policies and environments that can prevent chronic diseases, such as diabetes and heart disease.
Annapolis Recreation and Parks has partnered with Anne Arundel Medical Center, Anne Arundel County Department of Health, The Pediatric Group, Annapolis Pediatrics, local public schools, and other City Departments to complete a community-wide health assessment to identify the policies, infrastructure and leadership that is already in place to promote physical activity, nutrition, chronic disease prevention and tobacco cessation.
This baseline information was used to determine the health and wellness initiatives in our community:
- Increase physical activity opportunities in Annapolis area schools. Since November 2012, Germantown Elementary School has participated in the SPARK physical activity program. SPARK is a research-based, public health organization dedicated to creating, implementing, and evaluating programs that promote lifelong wellness. SPARK includes a curriculum, training and equipment to incorporate physical activity throughout the school day. Learn about SPARK here.
- Implement a Physical Activity Rx Program to help pediatric healthcare providers connect kids with free local physical activity programs through Annapolis Recreation and Parks and Anne Arundel County Recreation and Parks.
- Implement Electronic Benefit Transfer Systems (EBTs) in all Anne Arundel County Farmers’ Markets so credit cards and SNAP benefits will be accepted.
- Increase the number of school and community gardens in Annapolis.
- Promote the purchase of healthy foods in local convenience stores.
If you have any questions or would like to get involved with ACHI, please contact Samantha Gilmore at firstname.lastname@example.org
Looking for something that we don’t currently offer? Send us an e-mail and let us what you would like to see offered. Have a skill or talent that you would like to share? We continue to look for new program instructors in a variety of areas. Please send a brief letter of interest including references and salary (hourly) requirements to email@example.com.