Waterworks Park Brochure
The Annapolis Waterworks Park is a passive recreational facility operated by the Annapolis Recreation and Parks Department. This Park is one of the few open space resources in the area which provides the public with hiking trails, as well as places to picnic and fish. There are miles of nature trails and a picnic pavilion (first-come, first-serve.)
Waterworks Park is located at 260 Defense Highway, about one mile past the Annapolis Mall. There are three fresh water fishing ponds – catch and release fishing only (the fish cannot be taken home.)
Maryland fishing licenses apply and can be purchased at the Maryland Department of Natural Resources (Rowe Blvd.) in Annapolis.
PERMIT INFORMATION - entrance to the park is by permit only
The permits sold by ARPD are for access to Waterworks Park only. Due to the Park’s ecological sensitivity and limited parking, all visitors are required to obtain a permit to use the park. Permits are issued to City of Annapolis and Anne Arundel County residents only. Valid identification must be provided prior to the issuance of any permit. A limited number of quarterly and monthly permits are issued beginning the 15th of the month preceding the month the permit is valid. All permits are sold on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Permits are available for purchase from the Annapolis Recreation and Parks Department office located at the "Pip" Moyer Recreation Center at Truxutn Park, 273 Hilltop Lane in Annapolis during building hours.
Fall 2013: the permits are sold on the 15th of the month prior to the permitted month:
• September permits on sale August 15
• October permits on sale September 15
• November permits on sale October 15
Monthly (30 allotted) = City of Annapolis Resident $10 / Anne Arundel County Resident $15
Quarterly (50 allotted) = City of Annapolis Resident $30 / Anne Arundel County Resident $45
In order to prove residency, we need a copy of your driver’s license. Please remember to have your "hang tag" visible in your car while parked at the park. We also recommend having your receipt on hand while you're at Waterworks Park too as the receipt has the combination to the lock which allows you to access the park.
Unless otherwise exempted by the State of Maryland, all persons fishing in Waterworks Park must possess a valid State of Maryland Non-Tidal Fishing License. All of the Maryland fishing rules and regulations must be observed. Following the Maryland rules, individuals under age 16 are not required to possess a Maryland license
There is a “catch-and-release” policy for Waterworks Park. All fish caught must be returned to the water immediately (except for minnows that are used as bait). No outside fish may be brought into Waterworks Park and released into the waters.
HOURS (open all 12 months)
7 a.m. to dusk, all seven days (Sunday-Saturday)
RULES AND REGULATIONS
This park is home to a wide variety of wildlife and we ask that you treat the natural surroundings with respect. For everyone’s safety and enjoyment, the following rules and regulations must be followed or your permit will be revoked:
1. Entrance to the park is by permit only. Obey posted park hours (see above); park closes at dusk.
2. Stay off the dam.
3. No fires of any kind. No smoking.
4. Please do not enter any of the buildings or small pump houses. There is very dangerous high voltage electrical equipment in these structures.
5. Do not go beyond the designated trails. We ask that you respect all private property. The white farm house and the large brick pump house near the entrance to the park are not part of the park operations. Please refrain from approaching either building.
6. No wheeled vehicles of any kind except strollers, wheelchairs and other mobility vehicles for the handicapped. No bicycles, of any kind, are permitted on any of the trails.
7. The person whose name appears on the permit is responsible for the conduct of the group.
8. Children must always be supervised by an adult.
9. You are expected to help maintain the park’s natural beauty. Do not cut or dig up trees or plants. Do not harm or harass wildlife. No hunting.
10. No swimming, wading, or bathing allowing.
11. No ice skating or boating is allowed.
12. The possession of firearms, fireworks or weapons of any kind is strictly prohibited.
13. No alcoholic beverages or controlled substances are allowed in the park.
14. Pets are prohibited.
15. Please use the trash receptacles located adjacent to the entrance gate. If the cans are full, we ask that you please take your trash with you.
16. Report any accident or injury to the Annapolis Recreation and Parks Department at 410-263-7958.
Come join our team of Volunteer Park Rangers at the Annapolis Waterworks Park (AWP)! Volunteer Park Rangers check visitor permits and remind park users of the rules and regulations at the park. (They are not responsible for or have any enforcement of the rules and regulations.) AWP Volunteer Park Rangers are expected to serve at least five hours each month and are responsible for paying their own permit fees.
Volunteer Minimum Requirements:
- Must be 18 years of age
- Successfully Complete a Background Check
- Have Reliable Transportation
AWP Volunteer Park Rangers will receive a shirt and baseball style hat after completing an orientation training. Additional training will also be available on topics such as First Aid, CPR and trail construction and maintenance. We will accept applications for the Spring 2014 season in January. Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
A Historical Perspective - In April 2010, the City reluctantly closed the Waterworks Park because of budget cuts in the Recreation and Parks Department. A group of park users lobbied the City administration to reconsider the closure, offering suggestions for greater efficiency in park operations, and the Department had anticipated re-opening the park within a year of its closure.