Frequently Asked Questions

Does my project require an Adequate Public Facilities Certificate?

All new development or redevelopment of any non-residential building or any mixed-use development of non-residential and residential uses, proposed by an applicant, where the proposed development is greater than 10,000 square feet in area or a residential subdivision of more than eleven (11) lots regardless of the square footage of the development is subject to adequate public facilities review and certification.

Is it possible to apply for a Certificate of Adequate Public Facilities prior to submitting for other development approvals?

The review is done concurrently with Site Design Plan Review approval.

How long does it take to obtain a Certificate of Adequate Public Facilities?

APF Certification is reviewed concurrently with Site Design Plan Review and the time will vary according to the complexity of the project.

What information and plans are necessary to obtain an Adequate Public Facilities Certificate?

In addition to the submittal requirements for Site design Plan Review, each department involved in Adequate Public Facilities review - Fire, Police, Public Works, Recreation &Parks, Neighborhood & Environmental Programs, and Planning & Zoning may require additional information.  For access to the specific standards and requirements. please see the Departmental Review section of the Adequate Public Facilities webpage.

My building and/or development will be fully sprinklered.  Does it meet the fire department portion of the APFO?

Yes.  A proposed project that will include a sprinkler system or systems in accordance with City Code Section 17.12.010 shall be deemed to have adequate facilities under the fire department portion of the APFO.

I'm adding a second floor to my existing commercial building.  Do I have to meet the fire department portion of the APFO?

No.  Certificate of Adequate Public Facilities are only required to be issued before any approval of a Major Site Design Plan application under Section 21.22.060 of the Zoning Code, and any approval of a Planned Developments under Chapter 21.24 of the Zoning Code.  However, building and fire codes will still apply.

What are non-auto transportation alternatives anyway and why should we provide facilities for them?

Pedestrian, two or three wheeled cycles and shared rides are all examples of non-auto alternatives to the single occupancy automobile.  Too many single occupant automobiles create traffic congestion and are a significant source of air and water pollution.

What types of facilities should developers be prepared to provide to fulfill this requirement?

Developers will be required to provide pedestrian areas, alternative vehicle parking and other amenities which encourage these non-auto transportation alternatives.  Smoothly paved walkways, bike racks or lockers and space for curbside pedestrian waiting shelters are the most common types of facilities.