Make A Kit!
A basic emergency preparedness kit should include the following items:
- Water, one gallon of water per person for at least 3 days for drinking and sanitation
- Food, at least a 3 day supply of non-perishable food
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert and extra batteries for both
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Whistle to signal for help
- Dust mask, to help filter contaminated air and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Can opener for food (if kit contains canned food)
- Local maps
Do not forget to include important documents in your emergency kit…(This information should be kept in a waterproof container)
- Copies of family members birth certificates
- Copies of Social Security Cards
- Cash/Emergency Credit Cards
- Insurance information/medical records
- Extra supply of daily medications
- It is recommended to check your kit twice a year during day light savings time.
- An emergency kit should be placed in an easily accessible area.
- Emergency kits should be placed at home, in your car and at your place of work.