The Manager Monthly Memo
is a report on activity underway in the City each month. It includes both statistical and narrative content in a brief reporting format. The monthly report typically includes:
Cover Memo by City Manager Michael Mallinoff, Esq., ICMA-CM
Year-to-Date report on financial expenditures, revenues, and overtime
Map showing reported Part I Crime
Map showing new businesses, notable construction projects, and the current year's street paving plan
a synopsis of departmental activity *
Miscellaneous material of a timely nature
*The synopsis is based on departmental monthly reports, which are submitted to the City Manager by department directors. Departmental reports are not included in the Manager's Report for the sake of brevity. They are available upon request by calling 410-263-7939
Please find the following 38th edition of the Manager’s Monthly Memo for the period ending November 30, 2013.
In this months memo we include the Quarterly Report by Ms. Consuella Caudill, the Small/Minority Business Enterprise Coordinator for the City of Annapolis. Annapolis is a City made up of primarily small businesses, and it is a primary goal of the City to support and recruit small and minority businesses through the efforts of the SMBE coordinator and the Annapolis Economic Development Corporation. Ms. Caudill’s results for the previous quarter include, but were not limited to:
- Organized a day long workshop for community based organizations and financial institutions highlighting the Community Reinvestment Act and best practices for securing capital and operating funds. Had over 65 attendees from across the state.
- Developed a brochure to assist Spanish speaking home owners and contractors navigate the permitting process.
- Published weekly online newsletter for entrepreneur community.
- Added two new pages to website including a “Request a Business Visit” form.
- Presented at Senior Outreach Forum; community college business class; civic groups.
- Utilized local print media to market and promote business opportunities for MBEs and WBEs.
- Developed an Employer Services brochure to help businesses utilize local resources for hiring staff.
- Developed a flyer promoting the City’s Capital Facilities payment program.
- Attended Minority Business Vendor Fair in Timonium, MD. Met with over 100 minority firms about what services/products they offer and how to do business with the City of Annapolis.
- Mailed welcome letter to new businesses. Letter invited businesses to participate in a one-to-one meeting to discuss business needs, city process, etc. Scheduled and participated in 2 meetings.
- Cultivate relationships in the community by attending individual and community meetings.
December brings us to the end of 2013. I would like to give thanks to the community and the Mayor and City Council for this opportunity to serve this beautiful community. I would like to extend great appreciation to the hard working department directors and employees of the City. Without you, the tremendous quality of life this community enjoys would not be possible. Have a great holiday season and a wonderful 2014!
Michael D. Mallinoff, Esq., ICMA-CM
December 16, 2013