A. Flood Watch: A flood is possible in your area.
B. Flood Warning: Flooding is already occurring or will occur soon in your area.
C. Flash Flood Watch: Flash flooding is possible in your area.
D. Flash Flood Warning: A flash flood is occurring or will occur very soon.
The flooding most often experienced in the City of Annapolis is termed “urban flooding” which is similar to flash flooding. Urban flooding can occur when:
1) Sanitary sewers are infiltrated by floodwaters, causing sanitary sewers to surge.
2) Undersized roads culverts and railroad culverts, as well as, storm water systems can’t contain flood flows.
3) The capacity of flood control systems (such as drainage ponds) is exceeded.
4) Wind induced coastal flooding that causes storm water drainage systems to be overwhelmed.
5) The Bay floods over banks and backward through storm drains.