Paul M. Rensted, Director
The Human Resources Department administers the provisions of the City Charter and Code that pertain to employee appointments and promotions, recruitment and retention, benefits and wellness, classification and compensation, performance and training, personnel records, separation and retirement, and employee and labor relations.
The Human Resource Department provides staffing and support to the Civil Service Board, Public Safety Disability Retirement Board, and the Human Relations Commission. Human Resources also work as part of the City’s Union negotiating team, the Police and Fire Retirement Plan Commission, and Risk Management Policy group.
The Human Resources Department is committed to actively recruiting qualified and diverse applicants, retaining and engaging employees by offering competitive and comprehensive benefits, providing ongoing education and learning opportunities, and ensuring a safe and equitable work environment for all employees and citizens. We embrace a proactive philosophy dedicated to providing exemplary service by identifying significant human resources issues and developing innovative, cost-effective solutions.
- Recruits, examines, and recommends to appointing authorities applicants for authorized City positions.
- Administers entrance and promotional exams, and prepares lists of person eligible for hiring and promotion.
- Develops and maintains the City-wide classification and compensation plan.
- Develops and administers employee benefits including medical, dental, vision, prescription drug, Employee Assistant Program (EAP), Core and voluntary life, short term and long term disability, deferred compensation, Pension and retirement programs, medical and dependent care, flexible spending accounts, workers compensation, credit union, leave (annual, sick, personal).
- Coordinates the annual performance management program for all City employees.
- Oversees the disciplinary program and subsequent grievance and appeal processes under union or civil service provisions.
- Participates in the negotiation and is responsible for the administration of fire, police, trades, and clerical collective bargaining agreements.
- Coordinates and administers retirement plans for civilian and public safety employees.
- Creates and implements quality of life mandates, including fair labor standards, family medial leave, harassment, drug abuse, disabilities, and equal employment opportunity.
- Plans, coordinates and delivers City-wide training for employees that fosters administrative goals and objectives.
- Implements and maintains the newly acquired Human Resource Information System.
Human Resources is located at 145 Gorman Street on the 2rd floor of CVS building. On-street parking is available and parking garage is located next to the building.
From Eastern Shore and Rt. 50 Westbound:
Take Rt. 50 West to Annapolis Exit 24A marked Rt. 70 S/Rowe Blvd. Follow Rowe Blvd. approx. 1-1/2 miles bearing right at Detour sign to Northwest St., then through light to Church Circle. Keep in right lane, go approx. 1/3 around Church Circle and bear right at light on to Duke of Gloucester St. (Maryland Inn is at that corner). Stay in left lane, go through one light and turn left on Green St. At stop sign, turn left on Main St, turn left on Gorman Street.
From Washington and Rt. 97:
Take Rt. 50 East to Annapolis Exit 24 marked Rt. 70S/Rowe Blvd. Bear right on the exit toward Annapolis. Follow Rowe Blvd. approx. 1-1/2 miles bearing right at Detour sign to Northwest St., then through light to Church Circle. Keep in right lane, go approx. 1/3 around Church Circle and bear right at light on to Duke of Gloucester St. (Maryland Inn is at that corner). Stay in left lane, go through one light and turn left on Green St. At stop sign, turn left on Main St, turn left on Gorman Street.