Cemeteries often display monuments of both artistic and historic interest. Annapolis has seven of them. Usually the monument makers are unknown, but their work frequently delights and surprises. The grounds offer a respite from the city hustle and bustle.
United States Naval Academy Cemetery
This cemetery at Hospital Point was part of a 67 acre purchase called Strawberry Hill. It holds the remains of a diverse array of military personnel, USNA Superintendents, Medal of Honor recipients, midshipmen, former employees and veterans, whose lives tell the history of the U.S. Navy. The oldest monument is inscribed in Spanish and honors the remains of Americans who died in the Battle of Veracruz in the Mexican-American war in 1847. Navy Bandmaster Charles A. Zimmerman who wrote Anchors Away; Admiral Ernest King, Chief of Naval Operations in WWII; and Rear Admiral Wilson Flagg '61 who died when American Airlines crashed into the Pentagon on September 11, 2001 are interred here. The Jeannette Monument was a gift of the men of the U.S. Navy to commemorate the deaths of twenty-two of the individuals in the Jeannette Artic Exploring Expedition in October 1881. Designed by Naval Academy drawing master George P. Colvocoresses, it represents the stone cairn that one of the survivors, engineer George Melville, devised to mark the place where twelve sailors are buried on the Lena Delta of Siberia. The monument was unveiled on October 30, 1890, nine years to the date of Commander George Delong's last diary entry.
St Anne's Church & Cemetery, Northwest Street
Many of the leaders of the Maryland Colony are buried in the church's courtyard (circa 1692), their graves marked by simple stones. Within the church's sanctuary (its third, built after a fire in 1858 destroyed its predecessor) are a number of works of artistic distinction. The stone altar and baptismal font were carved by William Henry Rinehart. Bavarian woodcarver William Kirchmayer is responsible for the 1920 reredos. The outstanding examples of stained glass are cited elsewhere in the catalogue.
The elaborate mausoleums in St. Anne's Cemetery hold the remains of many of the City's elite from its earliest days to its recent past, including mayors, dignitaries of the Episcopal Church, college presidents, scholars and veterans of the War of 1812.
St. Anne's Cedar Bluff Cemetery
Cedar Bluff, founded in 1896 on the south side of Northwest Street displays few monuments with the exception of a tall statue of an elk, dedicated in 1909 by the local BPOE chapter, that carries the names of deceased members over the last 100 years.
Brewer Hill Cemetery
Adjacent to the National Cemetery on West Street and also part of the old Brewer’s Farm is the cemetery that was reserved for African-Americans. Two of its memorials mark tragic events in Maryland’s past: one remembers Henry Davis, the victim of a lynching in 1906, Maryland’s last, and another honoring John Snowden, hanged in 1919 for a crime of which he is believed innocent.
National Historic Cemetery
The cemetery on West Street near Westgate Circle was once part of a farm owned by Nicholas Brewer and is one of fourteen designated by President Lincoln in 1862 to honor the memory of those who died in the Civil War. All markers are identical.
St. Mary's Cemetery
The grave markers in the City's Catholic cemetery, located on West Street across from Brewer's Hill, are of simple design and quiet dignity.